Search This Blog

Friday, August 17, 2012

Activation Update

This is the 4th day since the implant was turned on.  I am on the schedule of gradually increasing the amplification (volume) of it, a notch every couple of days.  I found out I don't need to wait 3 days unless it is uncomfortable... so I am using two. Now on the 3rd step.  I continue to be pleased.

As I fool around with headphones, I have determined that the "implant ear" is now about the same, in terms of hearing voices, that my other ear is without any aid in it.  That is good.  I can expect the Implant Ear will get better with each step up.

The "fidelity" of the Implant Ear, however, is not yet "natural."   A man with a pleasant resonant voice sounds a bit like Barny Fife.. a little tinny or twangy.  That is very similar to what the old hearing aids produced as well.  I am hopeful/optimistic that they will be able to improve on this when I go back in (in 6 weeks or so) for an updated setting.   Right now, the major objective is to fine the most useful upper and lower volume settings. And to let my brain start to filter out the "internal noises" of chewing, swallowing, and my own speech.  They always sound load with each change in the volume.. but I also know that in a short time one doesn't notice them any more than a "normal" person does.

Overall,  is a bit hard to make a good comparison between "now and before" as for the last two months I have had no hearing at all in the Implant Ear.   So, of course, anything is an improvement. There is a BIG benefit to "always having an aid in", even at night.

So, I am feeling pleased about the whole project to this point.

No comments: