Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

4th Week Check In

I have just been reminded by a caring neighbor that I haven't been keeping this up to date.  Thankfully, that is because there isn't much new to report.  It is now 4 weeks since the surgery.  I am almost back to normal.  The only restriction being that of keeping water out of the bionic ear for another 4 weeks.    I am scheduled for the "activation" of the device on Aug 13.  They wait this long to ensure fluid and other issues from the surgery to the middle ear have resolved themselves before applying the power.

So I continue to shower with the Vaseline/Cotton Ball "plug" in the ear.  And of course, can only hear (poorly as usual) from the one ear.  I have no sense of direction, even with the one hearing aid in. This is illustrated by my wandering in circles the other day when Carol was honking the horn so I could find where she had stopped the car while waiting for me in the supermarket parking lot. It is clear that few people think to help a hearing disabled person.. several just walked on by and looked at me strangely.  Guess I need a white cane.

One minor issue remains.  A small portion of the scar in the hairline behind the ear is healing a bit slowly.  Carol applies hydrogen peroxide and antibiotic cream 3 times a day and it is getting better.  I have been seeing the doc at the Woodlands each week for a brief followup check. He isn't concerned.

Thanks for checking in.   Feel free to leave comments or questions below...  

No comments: