Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Post-Op Day

2:30 PM Wed.   Well everything went better and with less discomfort than I had expected.  They sent me home yesterday afternoon about 4:30 or so looking like this.  Not much pain, but very groggy from the 4.5 hr. surgery.  Either this is supposed to protect my "work site" or else I am confused about where my protective cup is supposed to be.  Not much of a picture but you wouldn't want a good one.

Lots of up and down last night with all the fluids I had with the IV and constant water after getting home.  We went in at 10:00 AM today for the post op visit.  They took my cup back and answered questions, etc.  Lots of antibiotics and do nothing for 10 days. A real concern with any kind of exercise, lifting, or strain causing problems for the middle ear work.  Big concern about not getting water on the area or in the ear for 2 months.  Infection can be a real problem with this deal I guess. 

I am feeling tired, and mouth is still yukky from the breathing tube and anesthesia. But otherwise just fine.  Head feels like I had bumped it a bit. They do "sacrifice" one nerve that goes to the back of the tongue as they make the path for the wires into the middle ear..  Leaves it just a bit numb on one side and changes the way things taste a bit.  Others have reported that you don't notice it after a month or so as the brain compensates. 

So.. for the six weeks to 8 weeks I operate on one ear with one hearing aid.  It is working better then I would have expected so I'll be as fine as usual in that regard.  Then they "turn it on" and I will be able to hear whispers and read your thoughts if within 7.5 feet. It has a wireless controller to make adjustments.

 I took a picture of the "model device" after the pre-op session.  My little knife is just over 2 inches long for comparison.  Battery is like for a pace maker and is supposed to last 5 to 7 years with emphasis on 5 I think. They replace it under a local.




1 comment:

Roberta said...

I was happy to read that the knife doesn't go in your noggin.