Search This Blog

Monday, June 11, 2012

Pre-Op Session Results



(Monday, 6:50 PM)... Well, the "pre-op" session went fine.  I came away impressed with their facilities and their people.  First up was a one hour audiogram session.  It confirmed what others have shown, but this one was more extensive.  

Here is a quick look at my results.  Left and Right ear are almost the same. Hearing scores at 40db and greater are considered moderate to moderate-severe.   Higher scores mean sounds have to be at higher levels to be heard. I have put notes in blue on the left and the red boxes show normal ranges for volume (db) and frequency. The X is left ear, the      < is right ear and the A is with aids in both ears.  "normal hearing of speech is in the shaded yellow.

 These scores explain why I have so much trouble understanding, even if I can hear.  I am missing the normal speech frequencies, especially the lower ones, even with the aids.

After the audiogram session, mom and I spent about an hour with one of the doctors who checked me out and then explained everything that was going to go on.  Again, we felt very good about it.

We'll be there tomorrow at 6:00AM for 7:00AM surgery.. lasting 3-5 hours.  Should be home after 5:00 PM.  Cathy will stop by around noon, likely.    I am quite relaxed about it all, but don't look forward to sitting around for a couple of weeks.  And it is 8 weeks before the "implant" is turned on for the first time.

No comments: